Sunday, November 24, 2013

Project Simple Desk Refinish

I haven't updated this blog in a long time.  I started two projects over the summer that I was really excited to write about.  However, both of those projects are taking a lot longer than I originally thought they would and so their posts have been delayed.  I've been busy though and each of my projects are going really well.  I never thought that I could do the things that I'm doing and it has saved us a lot of money.  I now truly understand the value in what contractors and artisans charge for their services, but anyone can do it themselves with a little bit lot of patience.

So... in this post I want to touch on more furniture refinishing.  I followed the same process that I used HERE but I want to talk specifically about a product that I found to be AMAZING!  Spray paint... Seriously, spray paint.  There are some unbelievable products on the market that give much better results that products of the past and the nozzles have also come a long way. Skip to the very end if you want to see what I used.

For organization's sake let's start at the beginning.

Here is a desk I found at REstore here in Evergreen.  I paid $47 dollars for it.  You can click on the pictures to get a better look.


The desk is a cool little mid-century mod made by Stanley.  It has dovetail joints and is pretty sturdy.  (At this point I have to apologize for my pathetic photos.  I got so excited that I started working on it before I realized that I didn't take before pictures.) The desk looked like it had seriously been dropped on all 4 corners and no one would have bought it because it had a veneer on the desk top.  Most people steer clear of these pieces because they think that they cannot be refinished, but they can if you are careful.  Anyway, the finish was really yellowed from age and someone had carved shapes into the top and sides.  All in all it looked like crap.  For time savings I even used an electric sander, which did not cut through the veneer.  Here it is after the final sanding - I worked from 80 grit to 150/220.  You can see detailed instructions in my original post.


After sanding I patched the corners using a wood filler and re-sanded those areas.  Once the piece was ready I applied a wood conditioner, stain, and 3 coats of Polycrylic in a semi-gloss.  I believe I mentioned how much I love the water based Polycrylic in my original post, but in case I didn't - It is awesome!  I'll also say again that the directions tell you to sand with 220 grit in between coats, but I highly recommend using 600.  It makes it super smooth.

Here's a photo after the wood conditioner.  This product really starts to change the color of the wood.
I finished the desk in about 2 weeks.  The project itself was really quick, but I had some weather issues that prevented me from working on it everyday.  I also have the tendency to skip steps when I'm bored, so I take a break when I start to feel as though I'm going to half-ass it.  If you are like me you are probably thinking that there is no way in hell you're going to commit to these types of projects, but you can.  Take your time, take days off, and it will all work out.  You'll save money, you'll end up with a better made product, and more than likely no one else is going to have the same piece.

Here is the after picture... Don't forget to read below!!!! Don't leave yet!

If you notice the hardware on the drawers and the metal caps on the bottom of the legs do not match.  You'd think that for all the talking about NOT half-assing your projects that I'd follow my own advice and get the photos right, but I didn't.  The crux of the issue is that I have a one track mind and when I'm focused on one thing everything else goes out the door, but let me tell you about spray paint.  I did not want to spend much money on this project.  I used the wood conditioner, stain, and polycrylic from my last project.  I didn't want to shop for or pay for new hardware and the original hardware was pretty cool.  I decided to paint them.  I bought this:

I cannot say enough good things about this paint.  The action of the nozzles is awesome, the coverage is awesome, and the finish looks as though it came that way.  I simply took off the hardware, sprayed it with 3 coats of paint and put it back on.  For the caps on the bottom of the legs, I bagged the desk, taped a seal, and sprayed - that was it.  The finish is even smooth unlike spray paints I've used in the past and there are a variety of finishes available.  I raise my glass of wine to you Rust-Oleum and I'm not even getting a kickback!  *** Noticenbehind that can of spray paint that I am on my way to refinishing those kitchen cabinets.  I will write about it when they are done.  It is the project to end all projects.  That's all for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment