Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Project Terrarium

Recently, I visited a floral shop (for lack of a better name) here in Evergreen.  I plan to make a special visit there soon to create some terrariums with air plants, but I'll make a separate post about that project as well as that store after my visit.  I can say that it was beautiful and I'm hoping to provide some good tips from the owner - who was awesome.  Anyway, I digress... After that visit I felt inspired and wanted to create a couple of my own terrariums in the mean time.  ***At this point I do have to note that I am on a budget and it would not be possible for me to create every terrarium at a shop or through ordering numerous pieces of glassware from West Elm and other retailers, although, I do want to mimic the look in my own home.  I made a trip to Home Depot and found some very inexpensive succulents as well as the other gardening supplies I would need.  At Target I found some glass jars with lids in the kitchen section for $13 and $8.  You could probably find even better deals on glassware from garage sales or may even have some pieces already in your collection.  Here is the list of all the items you will need:

  • Plants - * read the labels carefully for water and sunlight needs
  • Glassware or any planter you'd like to use
  • Soil
  • Activated charcoal 
  • River rock or decorative stones (optional, but it does help with soil drainage)
  • Moss - I am going to transplant some from my yard, so it isn't pictured in my project
Then, it is as simple as layering in the ingredients.  I let my daughters do most of the work.  They started by creating a layer of stone along the bottom.  Then we placed about 2 inches of activated charcoal on top of the stones.  After, we filled the remaining area with soil and transplanted the plants.  When you add the moss you want to cover the surface of the soil around the plants.  Water according to the needs of your plant selection and place in a sunny area of your home. 

*After creating my terrariums I have noticed an excessive amount of moisture in the soil and have opted to leave the lids off of my jars because the plants I chose do not need a lot of water.  

Voila! Inexpensive terrariums that look beautiful.


2 comments:

  1. I love the way they turned out! I'm hoping to make a couple with my girls. I've recently bought 3 cylinder vases from thrift shops. I'll have find the right plants for my home, for there's not a whole lot of sunny spots.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found a couple that only needed a few hours of filtered light! They are out there. Wait for my post on air plants though. They are pretty cool.

    ReplyDelete