Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Project Cold-frame

I do realize that this blog seems to be headed in the direction of some kind of amateur yard-work assignment, but I assure you that it will cover additional topics soon.  Finishing the garden projects is at the forefront of my to-do list because these things need to be completed in early spring.  It is sort of a project curb appeal too if you will...  Anyway, coming soon I will cover other topics such as: preserving an animal skull (death stinks - quite literally) and refinishing a piece of furniture (much easier than I anticipated) but both of these projects are not quite finished. So, without further adieu onto today's project the cold-frame.

I've mentioned that I live in Evergreen at about 7500 ft above sea level.  I also will now admit to having the blackest of black thumbs, but I have been planting seeds with my daughters for the last 3 seasons and I am starting to get an idea of what I can and cannot grow in a shorter growing season at a high altitude.  To begin I've learned that I cannot grow squash.  Tomatoes are impossible and lavender won't even sprout.  On the other hand rhubarb and chard grow really well up here as do spinach, radishes, carrots, cilantro, raspberries and lettuce.  This season we planted various lettuces, spinach, kale, chard, rhubarb, radish, green beans, basil, and a type of yellow strawberry (I'm not sure if it will grow yet). To work with the shorter season I focused on plants that do not need as much time to grow (mostly) and I purchased an inexpensive cold-frame to help extend my time a little.  Some of the seeds were planted in an area exposed to the elements because the cold-frame isn't large, but I did transplant my sprouted seedlings inside and they survived through frost and snow.  In hindsight, I wish that I would have purchased two frames.  In case you are wondering... I purchased all my seeds through Baker Creek Heirloom Seed Co because the seeds are all non-GMO.  I've also found that these seeds actually sprout! I know it sounds silly, but I've planted sooooo many seeds to no avail in the past.  We planted a couple of weeks ago and things are looking beautiful!  The girls are really excited to see the seeds that they planted sprout into life.

To those of you wanting to start your own garden my best advice on this subject would be to read the instructions on your seed package and try different things.  We all have different obstacles in regard to our own locations for planting, but do not be discouraged.  If you live at a lower elevation your success will come much easier!  My first season only my carrots grew and I am becoming more able with each passing year.  Below are pictures from planting day.




No comments:

Post a Comment